The Essential School Sucks, #20 of 50
Theme Two: Leaving Institutional Schooling and Finding Educational Alternatives
In the previous episode you heard my first podcast with Zak from 2016. Today we'll fast-forward five years for updates on life and career advice in times of increasing uncertainty and instability.
Favorite School Sucks neighbor Zak Slayback returns to offer some key 2021 updates to his past advice for young people at the beginning of their careers. Our previous conversation on this topic, called How High School Students Can Get Ahead In Their Careers [PODCAST #583], covered:
- Why young people need to start personal websites while in high school, and how this website can work as a portfolio, showcase of personality, a canvas and as insurance
- How to contact an existing expert in the area you want to go into, getting a better idea of how to get started
- Methods of signaling and building a portfolio
- growing your network of people who are a few steps ahead of you
We'll make some adjustment to previous advice, and discuss what advice still stands and why. We'll also look at the big picture of politics, society, tech, and the hellstorm that's certainly on its way. Sorry.
- seriously ask yourself why you need to be on social media
- how deep are your options? how fragile is your situation?
- what consulting opportunities exist for you?
Zak Slayback is an entrepreneur who writes, speaks and takes action on issues of education, innovation, and philosophy. He is an Ivy League dropout and a founding team member of Praxis - an organization that creates apprenticeships for college-age people that lead directly to full-time jobs.
Learn more about Zak at ZakSlayback.com.
The downloadable version of The Ideas Into Action Summit is now available.
Use the coupon code independence to can get it for 30% off now until July 5th
Learn more here.
Please Support School Sucks
School Sucks was one of the longest running liberty-minded podcasts on the web, and the only one completely devoted to the issue of education (versus public school and college).
Your support keeps the show alive, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering our work. Please help us continue to spread this important message further!
One-Time Donation Options:
BITCOIN CASH 1AmqLVxjw3Lp9KT5ckfvsqfN2Hn3B1hCWS
Support Us On PATREON
You support our mission, and you want to help us continue to reach new people with our message and media. Your contribution helps us maintain presence, and to further build the legacy of School Sucks Project.
And please bookmark and use this link for your Amazon shopping: Shop With Us